Sunday, June 01, 2008

Jethro Tull: Songs from the Wood



Back to the 1970s and the title track from the LP that, along with Kate Bush's The Kick Inside, formed the soundtrack for my sixth-form years.

I later came to prefer Tull's earlier, bluesier efforts, but this LP and the subsequent Heavy Horses still sound good. I suspect they are partly responsible for the ruralist strain you still find in my politics.

Apologies for the minute of chat at the start of this clip, but the lyrics aren't bad:
Let me bring you love from the field,
Poppies red and roses filled with summer rain.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The very last gig I went to was Tull at the Edinburgh Playhouse around 1986. For me, it didn't get any better than Songs from the Wood (or maybe the live album).

Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)

Unknown said...

I was at that show too, it was October 4th 1987, what a show it was amazing.