Thursday, September 18, 2008

Booing Lembit at the Glee Club

On the New Statesman site Paul Evans reports:
Glee Club is traditionally the time when spirits are raised, and songs such as fiscal reform classic ‘The Land’ are enjoyed by all. This year though, Lembit Opik’s traditional harmonica bit was greeted by a chorus of boos from a section of the crowd – who began to chant “I’m for Ros!” – in reference to the Montgomryshire MP’s rival for the post of party president, Baroness Scott.
Perhaps the people booing were music critics?

3 comments:

Joe Otten said...

To be fair to Lembit, his playing was much better musically than my singing, or any singing I could hear, during the rest of Glee Club.

But I was very near the centre of the I'm 4 Ros calls, which were modest to start with, exacerbated only by his reaction, and the promise that he wouldn't play if we didn't stop.

I didn't hear any actual booing.

Jonathan Calder said...

I'm not sure I approve of being fair to Lembit, but I did notice how poor the singing was.

I was wondering whether it has some deep sociological cause like the decline of singing in schools.

Jennie Rigg said...

http://www.libdemvoice.org/conference-glee-club-4017.html