Monday, June 08, 2009

Watching cricket at the Angel, Market Harborough

I went to the Angel Hotel in Market Harborough this evening to meet my mother from her meeting of the Royal Naval Association. She was a meteorologist in the WRNS in her younger days.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the late Ron Palmer of the Royal Marines, who left money for us all to enjoy a tot of rum in his memory.

While I was in the bar waiting for the meeting to finish, I sat in the bar watching England beat Pakistan in the Twenty20 world cup.

It was a much better performance and a canny selection. I was afraid that Adil Rashid would be savaged when he came on, but in the event he bowled beautifully and gave every sign that he is ready to play a part in the Ashes series later this summer.

As I asked when he made his county debut back in 2006: "Won't it be nice if yesterday turns out to have been an historic day in English cricket?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let us hope that Andrew Brons 'MEP' has taken note of his constituent's contribution (and those of Shah, Bopara and Mascaranhas).