Sunday, April 11, 2010

The start of the county cricket season

Writing for The Corridor, Will Luke sees Steven Finn take 9 for 37 for Middlesex. Meanwhile, Go Litel Blog, Go ... sees James Taylor fail to score a century for Leicestershire.

And there is a stalwart and convincing defence of the traditional County Championship on Down at Third Man from Dr Dave Allen. It is in two parts - part one and part two:
Nobody knows how many members will be lost if the number of days of Championship cricket is reduced again because nobody asks. Nonetheless David Collier said about the likely reduction: “Membership brought in by the championship is a big thing but, if the standard goes up because players are better prepared, that is a good trade-off.” He did not specify precisely what would be lost in that trading but I suspect he means my support and the support (and regular, reliable financial investment) of people like me. If so, it’s been a lot of fun and I’ll miss it – but I won’t go quietly.

1 comment:

burkesworks said...

Great article by Dr Dave; anyone who can write a blog post about county cricket and title it after a fairly obscure Jerry Garcia album (a copy of which I own) is fine in my book.