Sunday, May 15, 2011

When Lord Bonkers drove Chris Huhne's car

Last January Lord Bonkers remarked upon his fondness for Eastleigh:
So when the town’s MP, our own Chris Huhne, invited me to tour his constituency I was happy to accept.

As we drive through the Hampshire countryside this morning he is full of the virtues of his Toyata Prius (apparently no polar bears are harmed in its manufacture), but as we near a crossroads he begins to panic: “It’s the brakes, your lordship, they just aren’t...”

At this point I am obliged to lean across and take command of the steering. As I explain after I have brought us to a halt by using a ploughed field with an appreciable slope, it is a peculiarity of the Rutland Highway Code that the landowner has right of way at any junction. Thus I am well used to driving without brakes.
Now I think we know who was on the other end of the phone call.

2 comments:

Ken said...

Surely Lord Bonkers would never be so impertinent and illiberal as to record a phone conversation without permission!

Christinehrvw said...

Surely Lord Bonkers would never be so impertinent and illiberal as to record a phone conversation without permission!