Friday, November 02, 2012

Why I am voting for Phil Knowles

The ballot papers for the selection of the Liberal Democrat candidates for the next European elections are going out. Here in the East Midlands I shall be giving Phil Knowles my first preference.

One reason for this is that I have known Phil for almost 30 years. We were members of Harborough District Council together back in the 1980s.

So I know what a good campaigner he is. It was Phil who taught me that three Liberals having a beer around the kitchen table could become "a meeting of concerned local residents" in a press release.

More recently, he has been prominent in the campaign to secure a new hospital for Harborough, proving himself an accomplished television performer in his many interviews.

In fact, with his warm Dudley accent, I could see Phil becoming something of a media favourite if he made it to the European Parliament. He would be a real figurehead for us East Midlands Liberal Democrats.

And he would make the interpreters earn their keep.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The rules say "No written endorsements"!

Jonathan Calder said...

I suspect those rules apply to the candidates rather than the rest of us, but I have asked what we must now call Great George Street.

Jonathan Calder said...

The powers that be confirm that there is no problem with this post.