Thursday, June 20, 2013

Lord Bonkers' Diary: Rutland six-card stud

Wednesday

One of my ancestors built the almshouses in the village. There, amid ivy and wisteria, the older inhabitants pass their declining years – I suspect Meadowcroft has his eye on a spot there when the time comes for his son to take charge of my gardens.

When I visit the place this afternoon, I find a chap called Littlewood berating the inhabitants. “Go back to work!” he cries. “You’d be much healthier. Here, have a cigarette.” He tries to interest me in his theories, but they merely remind me of the time that Laws tried to persuade me to sell the Well-Behaved Orphans. (I thought this outrageous – besides, the figures were not wholly convincing).

Later, Littlewood challenges me to a hand or two of poker. Being perhaps unfamiliar with the finer points of Rutland six-card stud, he ends the evening rather out of pocket.

Lord Bonkers was Liberal MP for Rutland South-West 1906-10.

Previously in Lord Bonkers' Diary

No comments: