Sunday, September 08, 2013

Chris Huhne on Rupert Murdoch's part in his downfall

Chris Huhne has an article in tomorrow's Guardian:
My endgame began when Neville Thurlbeck, the chief reporter of the now defunct News of the World, heard gossip that I was having an affair. Rather than cheapskating on the proposed investigation by hacking my phone, the News of the World put me under extensive surveillance by a retired policeman, a more expensive exercise.
He goes on to ask why News International prepared to invest so much to tail an opposition Liberal Democrat back in 2009:
Maybe it was coincidence, but that summer I was the only frontbencher who, with Nick Clegg's brave backing, called for the Metropolitan police to reopen the voicemail hacking inquiry into Rupert Murdoch's empire. 
Given that I was falling in love with someone who was not my wife, you might think that it was an act of folly to court Murdoch's hostility, but the journalist in me rebelled. Publish and be damned. If I was not in parliament to speak out when I saw an abuse, why was I there? 
The News of the World sparked the end of my marriage, but another Murdoch title, the Sunday Times, then groomed my ex-wife until she told them about the speeding points. The political editor bought dinners, sent flowers, offered breaks at smart hotels, and reassured her that she would not face any unpleasant consequences (such as prison). 
Four successive weeks as the splash in the Sunday Times ensured our joint prosecution. The Crown Prosecution Service loves a celebrity trial. It was the end of my political career, and it locked up my ex-wife too. She was just another "burned contact" for the Murdoch press.
Whatever you think of Chris Huhne's behaviour, his conclusion is correct:
Media ownership must be more diverse because it is the lifeblood of public debate. If competition policy is not enough, then we should have statutory limitations or even help for small media outfits (as other countries do). It is not only votes that make a democracy, but voices too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So nothing to do with our hero repeatedly lying through his teeth then? It woz the Sun wot done me guv.

Chris Huhne, the Edith Piath of British politics. No regrets.

Jonathan Calder said...

You clearly have not followed the link and read the whole article.

Anonymous said...

No, I gave up at the "groomed my wife" (sic). Not that Chris would ever do that...

Huhne's new found sword of justice...whats not to like.

Jonathan Calder said...

Thank you for confirming your comments are worthless.

Anonymous said...

Hey, he ain't coming back. No more candles in the window. ...