Sunday, November 03, 2013

Kevin Ayers: Shouting in a Bucket Blues



Last night BBC4 repeated its compilation of rock performances from the early 1970s. Watching reminded me how wonderful this one is - the guitar player is the Canadian Calvin Batchelor, who also played with Long John Baldry and Ronnie Lane.

Paul Walter and I must come from exactly the same generation, because we so often write about the same musicians and television programmes. But in one way at least he had an advantage over me.

Because this is what he wrote on Liberal Burblings when Kevin Ayres died earlier this year:
Kevin Ayers was very much part of growing up for me. His music was often played around the house by my brothers. My brother Andy can probably claim to have the largest and most well-kept collection of Kevin Ayers’ albums in Cornwall.

No comments: