Sunday, August 09, 2015

Lord Bonkers' Diary: Armed to the teeth with duck-handled umbrellas

As I noted in yesterday's post on Tower Hamlets, the new issue of Liberator is with subscribers. Which means it is time to spend some time with Rutland's most celebrated fictional peer.

Sunday

After Divine Service at St Asquith’s a bevy of elderly ladies gather surrounds me. "When is the Reverend Hughes coming back?" they demand to know.

Now, I find it best to keep on the right side of this element of the fairer sex – in my experience they are generally armed to the teeth with duck-handled umbrellas – but what can I say?

Everyone's favourite padre disappeared on missionary work among the tribes of the Upper Welland Valley shortly after the debacle of the general election and not a word had been heard from him since. I have an awful feeling that someone has shrunken his head.

Lord Bonkers was Liberal MP for Rutland South West 1906-10.

No comments: