Sunday, April 16, 2017

Redevelopment of Alexander Street, Leicester

Alexander Street isn't there any more. A little googling shows it once had a pub and a chapel, but today it has been completely cleared for redevelopment.
That's what I wrote when I discovered this corner of Leicester, which is hidden behind the city's old Central railway station.

The Leicester Mercury reports the redevelopment that is planned there:
City council officials have received an application to build 322 apartments in Bath Lane near to the recently restored Friar's Mill office development. 
Developers Goldcharm are behind the plan which would see two blocks of flats erected - one 11 storeys high at its tallest point. 
As well as the privately rented homes, there will be small shops a cafe and a gym built. 
The site of the plan is a now-cleared former industrial area which sits either side of Alexander Street and covers an two acre area.
I trust that the Great Central generator house, which stands at the junction of Alexander Street and Jarvis Street, will be refurbished as part of this development.

3 comments:

wolfi said...

I really like these old brick buildings - whether in Britain, the continent or the USA and find it a shame that they tear them down so often!
Concrete just can't compare.
Here in Hungary sometimes at least they save the bricks and resell them - for around 20 pence a piece if I'm right, some people like to use them again ...

Phil Beesley said...

I worry about the rapid redevelopment of former industrial land -- undeveloped brown fields or new knock downs -- in Leicester. It's great to see new homes being built with opportunities for small shops (how viable as enterprises?) but I fear that Leicester doesn't have an overall plan for these developments.

I accidentally turned into the Watkin Road development off Upperton Road (Walnut Street from my direction). There are houses and flats, but nothing to make a community. In my five minute diversion, I didn't see anyone walking around or pushing a child buggy.

silent runner said...

I've passed this by a 1000 times and only today did I notice it. What a wonderful example of a building of its time. Around it is in the process of being redeveloped so I'm hopeful this has been spared ready for refurbishment for repurposing. Fingers crossed