Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Bob Russell snubs Essex girls

Yesterday I reported that a Labour MP (David Taylor) had made a joke about Essex girls in the Commons. As Russell once wrote a a ludicrous trenchant letter to Liberal Democrat News after I made some mild jokes about Essex MPs, I naturally assumed that he would defend the honour of his fellow countywomen.

So I checked his website.

Nothing.

I looked at Google News.

The BBC quotes Lord Hanningfield (leader of Essex County Council) as calling Taylor's comments "pathetic" and "juvenile".

The Braintree & Witham Times quotes Tory MP Simon Burns:
“I am bitterly disappointed that in a sensible exchange with the Olympics Minister, Tessa Jowell MP, about how Essex could benefit from the Olympics a Labour MP (David Taylor, NW Leicestershire) should interject with such a silly and hackneyed stereotyping of people in Essex. It is very immature and unnecessary.
The Daily Mail quotes both Hanningfield and Burns and adds in John Kotz (chairman of the Essex Labour Party) and Mike Penning (a Tory MP from Hertfordshire).

But from Bob Russell, nothing.

He wants to buck his ideas up. Otherwise we'll be hearing jokes like this all the time...

An Essex girl was involved in a nasty car crash and was trapped bleeding in the wreckage. The paramedics soon arrives on the scene.

“It’s OK” said the ambulance man, “I’m a paramedic and I’m going to ask you some questions.”

“OK,” said the girl.

"What’s your name.”

“Sharon.”

“OK, Sharon is this your car?”

“Yes.”

“Where are you bleeding from?”

“Bleeding Romford.”

No comments: