Friday, June 21, 2013

Lord Bonkers' Diary: Clegg on Milton Keynes

Thursday

A fine evening: I find that Littlewood’s shirt is quite sufficient to keep me warm as I walk by the shores of Rutland Water. My cattle low in the nearby fields, the shrill call of wheway and hamwee can be heard across the waves and I fancy I can distinguish the harps of the Elves of Rockingham Forest playing in my covers. (Strictly speaking, they are trespassing, but I find it best not to make a fuss: it is wise to keep on the right side of these fellows.) The breeze is heady with the scent of May blossom and meadow flowers.

I fancy I can spy a familiar figure approaching. Sure enough, it turns out to be Clegg. “Isn’t it beautiful?” he asks me. “What we need is a new city built right here. Have you been to Milton Keynes? Wonderful place, I love it. Not enough to live there myself, obviously, but I love it.” I begin to wish I had gone the full ten shillings with those boys of his.

Lord Bonkers was Liberal MP for Rutland South-West 1906-10.

Previously in Lord Bonkers' Diary

No comments: