Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Lord Bonkers' Diary: A particularly civil civil libertarian

To the Bonkers’ Arms, which is simply chock-a-block: as soon one barrel of Smithson & Greaves Northern Bitter is breached it is time to tap another one. I get talking to some the throng and discover that they are all civil libertarians – sound chaps to a man and, indeed, woman. Some are outraged by Clegg’s support for secret courts, while others take a dim view of his support for the smashing of the Manchester Guardian’s computers. (A woman called Miranda also comes into it somewhere, but I am afraid I did not grasp that bit. Still, I am sure she is A Very Good Sort.)

Conversation soon turns to where Clegg may be found. I, of course, decline to breathe a word and suggest they ask Meadowcroft. I later note him tapping his nose and leering while accepting a pint from a particularly civil civil libertarian.

Lord Bonkers was Liberal MP for Rutland South-West 1906-10.

Earlier this week

No comments: