Thursday, August 13, 2015

Lord Bonkers' Diary: Stoned in Chewton Mendip and Langton Herring

Thursday

One of the tasks I have taken on in recent years is editing Wainwright’s West Country Marginals. A new edition is published after each general election, and with that in mind I recently dispatched an assistant to those parts to sniff out the lie of the land. Today I received his report:
At Bridgwater and Newton Abbot, Liberal clubs lie in ruins. Bright with buddleias and rosebay willowherb, they are the haunt of feral cats and truant children. Statues of Jo Grimond have been toppled in Redruth and Combe Martin. They threw stones at me in Chewton Mendip and Langton Herring.
I fear the new edition will need considerable revision. As to Wainwright’s Midland Second Places, I fear it will be a slim volume indeed this time.

Lord Bonkers was Liberal MP for Rutland South West 1906-10.

Previously in Lord Bonkers' Diary...
  • Armed to the teeth with duck-handled umbrellas
  • The current Lady Bonkers
  • The choirboys' rifle practice
  • "Who told you that?"
  • No comments: