Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Lord Bonkers' Diary: "I’ll take this bazooka just in case"

Friday

Another trying day with Heath. This afternoon, I suggest we go to the village school to watch the little mites rehearse their Christmas play. “Very good,” replies the normally estimable Heath, “but I’ll take this bazooka just in case we run into a badger.”

As we stroll down my drive past the lake (and his missile launchers), he asks me which play the school is giving this year. “Toad of Toad Hall,” I tell him. “It’s one of my favourites – better than all that gloomy Scandinavian stuff they go in for these days. It’s based on The Wind in the Willows, of course. All the characters are there: Toad himself, Ratty, the Mole, Badg…. Shall we go the Bonkers’ Arms instead?”

Lord Bonkers was Liberal MP for Rutland South-West 1906-10.

Previously in Lord Bonkers' Diary:

No comments: